Re: [Hampshire] GUI editor as root in Etch running KDE

Author: Mair
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GUI editor as root in Etch running KDE
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:24:53 +0100
hantslug@??? wrote:

> Let's get the flame wars out of the way first - yes, I know that many
> of you prefer Gnome, and yes I know that Ubuntu is the solution to
> all ills, but they are not the solution to what I want to do because
> I actually do want to go to Dublin from here.
>
> How can I get a gui text editor running as root in Etch? Or is it
> simply impossible and I have got to screw my courage to the sticking
> point and use vi or vim? I would greet that solution with
> considerably less than overwhelming enthusiasm.

I have generally acheived gui apps as root by copying .Xauthority from
a user ~ into the root ~. I suspect this isn't the recommended route.

More recently I have discovered (on ubuntu and debian testing/unstable,
whatever codename that is), that sudo <app> seems to work where su root;
<app> did not.

Mair