Re: [Hampshire] Jbidwatcher ebay sniper

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Jbidwatcher ebay sniper
Peter Salisbury wrote:
> In case it's of interest the JBidWatcher ebay sniping program[1] just
> arrived in the Debian unstable repository. I wouldn't buy on ebay any
> other way!
>
> Incidentally there's a very moving account on Morgan's website[2]
> about what happened when someone ripped off his (open source) code
> and started selling it on ebay. Grrrr.
>
> ATB, Peter
>
> [1] www.jbidwatcher.com
> [2] www.jbidwatcher.com/snipeit.shtml

My naive thoughts:

I read the account and really felt for the author, especially when I
read the thief's bare-faced 'reason' for blagging his work and selling
it on. But then I got to thinking about it and it occurs to me that
anyone who asks for money for a distro is doing much the same thing
aren't they? Take any distro that asks you to pay for a value-add that
the packagers claim to provide, and they too will still be using a core
of code written by volunteers that have no say in how their efforts are
used or abused in terms of charging.

Sean