Re: [Hampshire] Jbidwatcher ebay sniper

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Jbidwatcher ebay sniper

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x583de100.hantslug.org.uk.26860': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 3 17:05:17 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 04:41:19PM +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Peter Salisbury wrote:
> > [2] www.jbidwatcher.com/snipeit.shtml
>
> My naive thoughts:
>
> I read the account and really felt for the author, especially when I
> read the thief's bare-faced 'reason' for blagging his work and selling
> it on. But then I got to thinking about it and it occurs to me that
> anyone who asks for money for a distro is doing much the same thing
> aren't they? Take any distro that asks you to pay for a value-add that
> the packagers claim to provide, and they too will still be using a core
> of code written by volunteers that have no say in how their efforts are
> used or abused in terms of charging.

But there is an obvious value-add in that case: someone had to put
the distribution together, and that's what is being sold, not the
individual packages within. Also those packages' licenses allow
that.

Personally I do not believe that the "enterprise" distributions
do not represent value for money for most businesses though, and I
say that as someone forced to use them for a while. Now in $dayjob
we use Centos and of course my own stuff is Debian.. :)

Cheers,
Andy