Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu ipw2200 wireless help needed.

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu ipw2200 wireless help needed.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f8f100.hantslug.org.uk.30129': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 5 22:08:23 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:38:21PM +0100, John Cooper wrote:
> Alex Phillips wrote:
> >Dear List,
> >
> >I'm after some help with configuring the ipw2200 wireless card on my
> >HP tc4200 laptop running Ubuntu 6.10. I've searched all over google,
> >and most people say "just install network-manager and it works" but
> >not for me, in fact network-manager claims I have no network at all,
> >despite the eth0 wired connection working perfectly.
> >
> >I tried following the ubuntu + ipw2200 guide at
> >http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26623 and the more recent one
> >linked at the top of that page, but no luck.
> >

> >Any bright ideas what to try next please ?

Several thoughts and/or questions:

1) Do you need WPA, or just WEP (or no encryption at all)?

I use no encryption, or WEP (occasionally). For a WEP setup, I use:

iwconfig wireless key [1] ffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ff
iwconfig wireless key [2] eeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-eeee-ee
iwconfig wireless key [3] dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dddd-dd
iwconfig wireless key [4] cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cccc-cc
iwconfig wireless key [1]

(where "wireless" is the name of my network interface)

2) I don't know if it'll make a difference, but the manpage for
iwconfig uses a lower-case s: when specifying the WEP key as a string.
Can you turn WEP off temporarily to test without it?

3) Which module version do you have? (modinfo ipw2200 will tell you)
Which kernel version?

4) Which firmware do you have? Where in your filesystem did you put
it?

5) Did you try using the module shipped with the kernel at all, or did
you just go for the (marked as outdated) procedure on that web page?

> I just downloaded and compiled ndiswrapper, then imported the .sys file
> from the drivers CD that came with the card.
>
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation

ipw2200 has a fully working open-source driver in the mainline
kernel. I can think of no reasons whatsoever for using ndiswrapper...

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
              --- w.w.w.  : England's batting scorecard ---