Re: [Hampshire] KVMs and Linux v Windows

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] KVMs and Linux v Windows

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x581f7100.hantslug.org.uk.14307': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Apr 8 12:39:47 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 08 April 2007 12:25, Rob Malpass wrote:

> Short question: Is there a way to reset a desktop session (via a command)
> without resetting the machine itself?
>
> Sometimes when I switch (KVM) into an Ubuntu (or Mac Tiger) after a Windows
> session, the mouse pointer is clearly broken - it doesn't follow the
> movement of the mouse. I wouldn't mind this if my KVM were mechanical -
> but it's electronic and provides a signal even when inactive. This
> doesn't happen switching from one XP machine to another.

Sometimes I find this kind of thing happens with my KVM, especially when
booting one box. I found that all I need to is stop X, and remove and reload
the mouse driver in the kernel, then restart X and all is okay. Something
like:

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
sudo rmmod psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

Obviously you will need to adjust for your X login session and the actual
mouse module for your kernel. It may be possible to do this without
restarting X, but it I've not tried that.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason
to invent, one never ceases to be baffled by the minuscule
number whose shape even vaguely resembles a circle.
    -- anon, on Usenet