Re: [Hampshire] KVMs and Linux v Windows

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] KVMs and Linux v Windows
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've touched on this area before but I'm losing patience with it so
> need a workaround.
>
> Short question: Is there a way to reset a desktop session (via a
> command) without resetting the machine itself?
>
> Sometimes when I switch (KVM) into an Ubuntu (or Mac Tiger) after a
> Windows session, the mouse pointer is clearly broken - it doesn't
> follow the movement of the mouse. I wouldn't mind this if my KVM
> were mechanical - but it's electronic and provides a signal even when
> inactive. This doesn't happen switching from one XP machine to another.
>
> When it happens, the only options (that I know of) that I have are:
> a) ssh into the "broken" box and reboot it
> or
> b) VNC into the broken box and reboot it
>
> What I need is a nice command / script which will safely shut down the
> open apps on the Mac or Ubuntu box and restart the box or something
> similar leaving the session as it was.
>
> I guess the other option is investigate why this is happening but I've
> not turned up anything from a cursory google - all my results seem to
> be to do with virtualisation on Linux boxes.
>
> Thanks in advance as always.
>
> Rob

This used to happen on FC5 but is fixed in FC6. However, all I did was

Make sure my Function key was on as this stupid keyboard keeps turning
it off by default
Hit the Pause/Break key twice (KVM beeps)
Hit the m key (for mouse, re-initialises the mouse on Linux)
You see the mouse LED come back on on my optical mouse.

Bobs your uncle...

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk