[Hampshire] Ecological computing choice?

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire Linux User Group
Subject: [Hampshire] Ecological computing choice?
Hi Guys,

I need to set up another machine here to deal with mail and fileserving,
so that I can rebuild my main machine which is now suffering serious
entropy but I presently hardly dare touch.

I'd been thinking of buying a small ITX system, preferable fan-free,
for a reasonable minimal ecological footprint and minimal noise.

But I have sitting here an old 166MHz Cyrix box and a 66MHz 486 box.
Bying an ITX implies probably binning those. These would both need new
disc drives. The Cyrix is an AT, IIRC the 486 is an ATX.

Does anyone have any ojective information on the relative merits of a
new 60W ITX over keeping the old slow machines?

Does anyone know if these machines will now cope with the likely loads
of modern mail filtering (the present machine is a 560MHz AMD and is
sometimes brought to its knees, but then it _is_ also running X and
usually has a least firefox open).

ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.