Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] X is sick
On Tuesday 24 April 2007 03:41, Mike Burrows wrote:
> Mike Burrows wrote:
> >> Section "InputDevice"
> >>        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
> >>        Driver          "mouse"
> >>        Option          "CorePointer"
> >>        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
> >> #       Option          "Device"                "/dev/mouse"
> >>        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
> >>        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
> >>        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> >> EndSection

> > Thanks Peter. Working on it. One thing I don't get is that
> > psaux is present in /dev yet the crash message includes

Sorry Mike, should have made it clear - I use a serial mouse connected
to the PS/2 port, i.e. /dev/psaux so that's why my xorg.conf uses
psaux

> > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: cannot open device /dev/psaux
> >

> > (EE) PreIit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
> >
> > and a bit later
> >
> > No core pointer
> >
> > Is it trying to find a serial mouse perchance? Also /dev/mouse
> > isn't present.

IIRC /dev/mouse was from a previous version of the universe and that's
a fossil relic!

> Well I put the usb mouse back in probed the usbmouse module (udev
> is looking for a kernel > 2.6.15!!!), checked to see if
> /dev/input/mice is present which it is but we are still crashing
> out with no core pointer detected.

If you're not running udev then all the /dev nodes are present
irrespective of your actual hardware so the existence
of /dev/input/mice doesn't necessarily mean anything's connected to
it!

Do you have hotplug installed? (if not, try installing it)

You can use the command lsusb (in package usbutils) to see what the
system thinks is connected. Also look at dmesg | tail when plugging /
unplugging the mouse.

There are some good xorg.conf snippets for various USB mice and
various udev/evdev setups at:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Advanced_Mouse/Individual_Configurations

You can find out things like your X version by looking
in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

HTH, Peter