Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] X is sick

>>>Thanks Peter. Working on it. One thing I don't get is that
>>>psaux is present in /dev yet the crash message includes
>>>

>Sorry Mike, should have made it clear - I use a serial mouse connected
>to the PS/2 port, i.e. /dev/psaux so that's why my xorg.conf uses

No... you're fine. Seeing other config files was more of a sanity check
than anything.

>If you're not running udev then all the /dev nodes are present
>irrespective of your actual hardware so the existence
>of /dev/input/mice doesn't necessarily mean anything's connected to
>it!
>
>Do you have hotplug installed? (if not, try installing it)

Yay, udev out hotplug in = working mouse :-)

What was really confusing is that before upgrading, the usb mouse was
working fine with XF86Config-4 looking for a device in /dev/psaux. Must
have been something to do with the mouse not being properly probed after
the upgrade. Anyhow tried a few things while you guys were asleep:

1. Copied verbatim the lines from an X config file generated by Knoppix

result - X booted and the kdm ran :-)
but mouse didn't work :-( fixed this morning though as discussed :->

After logging in using kdm, was presented with a poorly formed terminal
window, which was frozen. Discovered kde wasn't installed !! aptituded
kde but still can't get the GUI to run.

Any bugs in kde following upgrade you know of please? I'll be googling too.

Thanks so much for the support. Money couldn't buy it.

Mike