Re: [Hampshire] enabling ssh access to a freshly installed D…

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] enabling ssh access to a freshly installed Debian Etch server
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 at 10:28:53AM +0100, Brian Chivers wrote:
> I've just done a basic netinstall of Etch on my new server but I'm not sure
> how to set up ssh access to it ?

SSH isn't installed by default on Debian.

$ dpkg -l | grep ssh

will tell you if ssh is installed.

In Etch you are looking for openssh-client and openssh-server
to be installed.

Your probably want to do something like

# aptitude install openssh-client openssh-server

To add it in. I think it will pull in any dependancies (SSL etc),
generate your server key and start it's self automatically all
in one go.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"We must get users past their misunderstandings of uptime. A reboot
doesn't mean that anything broke, there is no hardware or software
corrective action taken, so there wasn't any real downtime."
-- overheard in an MS strategy meeting