Re: [Hampshire] enabling ssh access to a freshly installed D…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] enabling ssh access to a freshly installed Debian Etch server

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56b41100.hantslug.org.uk.9077': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Apr 25 17:26:00 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 04:54:51PM +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> [2007-04-25 16:47]:
> > I just wished the default install of sshd only permitted
> > pub/private keys and ssh2. Allowing ssh1 and username/password
> > auth as a default install seems rather security broken to me.
> ** end quote [James Courtier-Dutton]
>
> I'd disagree here, well half disagree. I'd go along with dropping ssh1,
> but I wouldn't go for dropping username/password auth on installation.

Agree for the reasons you state, plus a surprising number of users
cannot comprehend ssh keys without having a good long think about it
(and sometimes not even then).

Cheers,
Andy