Re: [Hampshire] Installing OpenLdap on Etch with ldbm databa…

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Installing OpenLdap on Etch with ldbm database backend
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 13:08:46 +0100 (+0100), Brian Chivers wrote:
> What I normally do is simply copy the slapd.conf & ldap.conf files from
> one of the other slaves and then simply slapadd -l master.ldif which is a
> dump of our main ldap server. This is where the problem starts the
> database backend that all our other servers use is set to ldbm not the
> default bdb. I've found this via google but it doesn't seem to help much

hdb is recommended these days (over bdb at any rate). I use the
syncrepl overlay and just point it at the master, then get updates
pushed out from the master (I have the push version rather than the
pull version - as soon as you change something on the master, it's on
the slaves). It grabs the whole DB over on the first install.

One problem I've had is the naff error messages - basically you don't
get anything nice like "oops, someone's added a schema on the master
but not the slave". Need to check contextCSN attribute to see if all
the updates are applied.

> Does anyone know how to "add" ldbm or can I simply use the default bdb.
> If this is the case does anyone know if the replication will work via
> slurpd and this will take care of the conversions ??

Slurpd has been deprecated in favour of the syncrepl overlay.

Adrian