Re: Greylisting (Was Re: [Hampshire] Spam increase?)

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Greylisting (Was Re: [Hampshire] Spam increase?)
Andy Smith wrote:

> Basically you are intentionally slowing down email by rejecting it
> temporarily. In an ideal world where everyone complies with common
> internet practice this would introduce a ~10 minute delay, once.
> However the real world is full of companies like NTL and Yahoo!?!?!

I believe the faster the receipt of emails the better and that's just how
I work. I could deal with a send delay in fact I mentioned that this could
be a useful feature a couple of years ago here perhaps for a busy office
where the quality of outbound emails is mission critical.

However if small delays were temporary, as this thread suggests, then that
is tolerable. I have noticed approx a third increase in spam the last two
weeks, however, well trained mature bayesian filters (for the small size
of server), in my case, are holding up well. (RBL, black and white lists
and regex pattern matching also do a good job) So far so good.

Damian B

--
Damian Brasher
www.interlinux.co.uk