Re: [Hampshire] ssh (well putty actually)

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ssh (well putty actually)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x585e2100.hantslug.org.uk.12447': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Apr 27 21:55:27 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:08:03PM +0100, Philip Henderson wrote:
> Anyone any ideas on this one?
>
> I have just installed ubuntu server onto a box followed by an apt-get to
> install ssh. If I use a newly downloaded copy of putty on a kubuntu box
> it will happily ssh into the ubuntu server (on the same home network).
> But if I try the same from putty on my xp laptop, I get an "access
> denied" error as a result of entering my password.

Are you sure that putty on windows is sending the correct username?
I have tripped myself up before by copying a profile and forgetting
to change its username.

Failing that try running an sshd on a high port in debug mode (man
sshd) and connect to it with putty, that should give some clue as to
where it fails.

Cheers,
Andy