Re: [Hampshire] ACPI - anyone know details?

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ACPI - anyone know details?
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:39:09PM +0100, Vic wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I've been playing with ACPI tonight - specifically the thermal stuff.
>
> If I cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature, I get a nice, healthy
> temperature - that's good.
>
> Trouble is, I don't actually know what temperature this is - is it the
> motherboard? CPU? Does it vary? Anyone know how I can find out?

I just installed lm-sensors, then ran sensors-detect on my desktop and it
did all kinds of funky detection stuff and told me about some modules that I
needed to add to /etc/modules (which I did). I then sparked up gnome sensors
applet on the toolbar (http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/) and ticked
all the boxes for monitoring stuff.

Now I have ooooooooooodles of information that I will probably not be
interested in.

And in answer to your question, it labels the stuff that it is monitoring so
you know what the sensor is (usually).

http://gallery.popey.com/gallery/screenshots/toooooooooooooooooooolbar?full=1

Cheers,
Al.