[Hampshire] Configuring a netcard in Etch after install

Author: Brian Chivers
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Configuring a netcard in Etch after install
I've just installed Debian Etch on a Dell PowerEdge 1800 with dual netcards. During the install I
only configured one of the cards eth0 but now I've realised I need both cards.

I've done a cat /var/log/dmesg eth1 and it reports back

e1000: eth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

So I know that it's found it OK at boot so is it a simple matter of editting /etc/network/interfaces
with the relevent info and then doing

/etc/init.d/network restart

To bring the card up or is there a better / proper way to do this ??

Thanks
Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College