Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty
On 5/11/07, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 20:09:06 +0100
> "Adam Cripps" <kabads@???> wrote:
>
> > > benden:~# wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom speed=4 ./dyne-2.4.2.iso
> > >

> > Thanks John - but wodim does not play nicely either:
> >
> > wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom0 speed=4 tobackup.iso
> > produces lengthy output with this at the end:
> > wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!
> >
> > I'm guessing this is a hardware error or driver missing.
>
> I have had this sort of error if I accidentally put a 'blank' disk
> into the drive that isn't actually blank because a failed attempt to
> write to it had left a marker on the disk
>
> the output I got a few minutes ago when I test wrote another iso was:

<snip>

> So did you get any obvious errors concerning type of drive or
> type of disk as wodim in verbose mode does tell you a lot about
> these items? Are you actually using the drive you think you are, ie
> is it really /dev/cdrom0?

/dev/cdrom0 or /dev/hdd have worked in the past. I normally stick with
/dev/hdd to reduce the chance of a symlink being astray somewhere.

Errors with a disk fresh out of the box: [1]

One thing I noticed about the differences between your report and my
report was that I have
atapi: 1

Is atapi still used with the 2.6 kernel? If not, why has it been
picked up by ubuntu and can it be switched off?

There is also a bug on launchpad about hal not recognising blank media
and my update manager currently wants to update hal. So, I'll send
this email and then update, reboot and report any differences.

Thanks once again
Adam

[1] adam@home:/media/hardd/bigone$ wodim -v dev=/dev/hdd ./tobackup.iso
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.2
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'DVDRW   '
Identification : 'IDE H16X        '
Revision       : 'B02P'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0000 (Reserved/Unknown)
Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)
Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
FIFO size      : 12582912 = 12288 KB
Track 01: data  3140 MB
Total size:     3606 MB (357:16.81) = 1607761 sectors
Lout start:     3606 MB (357:18/61) = 1607761 sectors
Errno: 0 (Success), test unit ready scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x01 (medium not present - tray closed) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!
--