Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty
On 5/12/07, Adam Cripps <kabads@???> wrote:
> On 5/11/07, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

> > > Thanks John - but wodim does not play nicely either:
> > >
> > > wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom0 speed=4 tobackup.iso
> > > produces lengthy output with this at the end:
> > > wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!
> > >
> > > I'm guessing this is a hardware error or driver missing.

I've not had much time to look at this problem, but it is becoming a
right royal PITA. Data CDs and DVDs fail to mount at all now,
regardless of DVD burning (my original problem involved me backing up
some data to DVD, which still hasn't happened).

I'm close to reinstalling Ubuntu, but that's the Windows way of doing
things, and I'd rather not go down the high effort/high headache
route.

Any other suggestions about what I might do with this box? I've posted
the /etc/fstab file at [0].

My instinct is telling me that Ubuntu now has a different way of
handling hardware (going by the entries in fstab) but that my machine
is still holding on to the old way of doing things. However, following
instinct without other information is not something I'm fond of doing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Adam

[0] http://www.monkeez.org/linux/fstab.txt
--