Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty
On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:16:19 +0100
Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:

> AIUI it's part of the default Etch install, but if your system has
> been upgraded from an older version hal and friends won't be
> installed. It's probably worth considering installing as devfs is
> now heavily deprecated.

My Sid system, which is my main workstation, hasn't had a re-install
since I installed potato many moons ago. It, like the hardware it
runs on, has evolved over the years.

I think devfs was superceded as a result of a Kernel upgrade so I do
have udev stuff but presumably nothing I have installed depends on
HAL.

My server system which was installed as basic sarge and upgraded to
etch doesn't have hal either but again does have udev.

My test system had Sidux installed a few weeks ago and that does have
hal.

sidux is a slightly tweaked Sid with KDE as the gui. I am using this
box to try to wean my wife away from Win2K as it can run XP as a
virtual OS.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package