Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5792a100.hantslug.org.uk.21428': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat May 12 20:23:21 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 16:18 +0100, Stephen Davies wrote:

> This is probably a BUG in UBUNTU.

Report it then.

http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

> Once we installed the O/S we tried to configure the monitor. After much
> apt-get etc the nvidia driver was installed but plainly refused to
> recognise that the monitor was capable of anything higher than 1024x768.
> As we were using a Viewsonic VS2235wm 23inch display I was a bit miffed.
> Centos and Fedora found higher resolution OOTB.
> After adding several extra display resolutions including 1600x1200 to
> the xorg.conf is started X in this resolution. This is not the correct
> resolution for the display. This is 1680x1050 but 1600x1200 is close enough.

On Feisty there is no need to use apt-get at all in Ubuntu Feisty. You
just click the little Restricted modules icon and it downloads and
installs it for you.

As Adrian is familiar with apt I suspect he felt more comfortable
installing via that method. This is not the easiest way, and certainly
not the intended method. The following page details how to install the
NVidia driver:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

There are some quirky situations which are detailed on that page which
may cause the simple method to not work, but if you follow the
documentation there and on the next linked page it is by no means hard
or time consuming to get working.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual

I am pretty sure I sent these links last time you asked about this.

> From a personal point of view (please don't start a flame war here)
> Ubuntu is actually harder to install than Fedora. Ok, I am more familiar
> with FCx than Ubuntu but I have to do less other stuff with Fedora than
> Ubuntu to get a basic system working on this hardware.

What do you mean? Are you saying to get the base install is easier under
Fedora than Ubuntu or are you saying that once you have the desktop
installed, the addition of the usual stuff you use on a daily basis is
easier under Fedora?

> If Linux is to be a real serious contender to Windows in the desktop
> arena the who area of configuring the desktop display OOTB must be
> addressed. Adding second (& more ) displays should be as easiy as it is
> with Windows. If that gets sorted out then there is a chance to get "Joe
> Sixpack" off of Windows and onto OSS systems.

I just returned from the Ubuntu Developer Summit where we discussed a
new feature to fulfil this exact requirement. It's scheduled for
inclusion in Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) due later this year. It includes some
graphical tools for maintaining the display configuration and some other
underlying bits to make the display configuration more bulletproof. You
can read more and see some sample screenshots here:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SimpleXModeSelection
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DisplayConfigGTK

Cheers,
Al.