Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Author: Stephen Davies
To: Alan Pope
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge
Alan,
re:

What do you mean? Are you saying to get the base install is easier under
Fedora than Ubuntu or are you saying that once you have the desktop
installed, the addition of the usual stuff you use on a daily basis is
easier under Fedora?

I meant to sat the "Base Configuration" rather than base install.
By this I mean once you have rebooted into the installed system and the things you need to get a useable system going.
It just seemed a bit onerous however i was being guided by Ardian and as you say, some of the 'new tools' may be a bit strange to him.

One more point that irritates me (Apart from the awful orange on black default colour scheme) is the relative insecurity of Ubuntu when compared to RedHat based distros***. I have finally got my head around at least a few of the features of Selinux and now think it is a great security feature. Also, using SUDO is IMHO an very insecure thing. I like to lock down root and use long passwords (As John Lewis commented ).
Ubuntu (OOTB) locks out the root used from logging in. It should in my opinion be an install option. I (much to the chagrin of some people) do login from the console as root to do initial setup and also product installs of things like Websphere App Server etc. Other than that, I do 'su' to root as needed. I never use sudo at all. If I really want to lock down a system, i remove sudo completely. At one place I worked recently, if an employee was found using sudo, they were in deep dodo with their boss.
This is my way of working rather than a direct crit of Ubuntu. As is often said, with FOSS you have choice and this is what makes it great.

*** One of my major critisisms of Fedora Live is that root is the only account and it has no password (try FC7 Test 4 live CD) so not every distro is perfect are they. I have fed back this to the Fedora team. I am not alone in my dislike of this 'featurette'