[Hampshire] Strange permission problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Strange permission problem

I have strange permission problem on digital pictures I upload from my camera
to my ext.usb harddrive (formatted to fat32) which I use for Samba storage.
My PC is running Mepis 6.5

I connected the camera via usb to the PC, then (as a normal user) using
konqueror I went to the folder where the pictures were mounted, selected all
the pictures (166 of them) and then just cut and pasted all to the same
folder on my ext. USB dirve at the same time.

I was able to view them with out a problem, unfortunately my wife was only
able to see a small portition of the pictures (using PC with XP). On closer
inspection the first 81 pictures had a different set of permission than the
remaining 85. The permission on the first 81 was:

-rwx-----

The permission for the remaining 85 had been set to

-rwxr-xr-x

Ok it was simple to correct, but why when I uploaded all the pictures at the
same time to the same folder did I end up two different sets of permissions??

This is not the first time I have uploaded pictures and the permissions have
been set at -rwx----- but this is the first time I have had it happen to only
half the pictures uploaded to the same folder at the same time to the same
place?

Any thounghts

Tim