Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57dbd100.hantslug.org.uk.20430': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun May 13 10:02:58 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 09:43:49AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> I too found the use of sudo in Ubunto very irritating though I have
> no views on the security issues of doing so. Every distro I have used
> previously had root and user passwords and this seems to be a
> unix/linux tradition.

Running a copy of sendmail with no relay controls was also a unix
tradition.

> This suits my way of working and the use of sudo in Ubuntu is IMHO
> part of the dumbing down of the distro to make it so called 'user
> friendly' (/me ducks to avoid the torrent of abuse)

Some people consider the use of sudo for almost all command-line
administrative tasks to be best practice, and I'd be amongst those
people. I'm not going to list out the reasons for doing so because
I'm fairly sure you've heard them before, but I can't really see how
it's either "user friendly" or "dumbing down". It's one of the
first things set up on all of my (Debian) servers.

Saying that Ubuntu enforces this way of working is a bit strong
since it's extremely simple to re-enable direct use of the root
account, if you really should want to do something so ill-advised.

Cheers,
Andy