Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge
On Sun May 13 2007 09:43, john lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 09:07:13 +0100
>
> Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
> > Stephen Davies wrote:
> > > One more point that irritates me (Apart from the awful orange on
> > > black default colour scheme)
>
> Steve was less polite about the default colour scheme when we were
> talking yesterday and even suggested it was illegal to offer
> such a colour scheme under existing "Accessibility" regulations.
>
> > > is the relative insecurity of Ubuntu
> > > when compared to RedHat based distros***.
>
> <snipped>
>
> > > to root as needed. I never use sudo at all. If I really want to
> > > lock down a system, i remove sudo completely. At one place I
> > > worked recently, if an employee was found using sudo, they were
> > > in deep dodo with their boss.
> >
> > Care to explain why you, and, if you don't mind speaking on behalf
> > of someone else, your former employer consider sudo so insecure?
>
> I too found the use of sudo in Ubunto very irritating though I have
> no views on the security issues of doing so. Every distro I have used
> previously had root and user passwords and this seems to be a
> unix/linux tradition.
>
> Like Steve I tend to do admin things from a terminal via 'su' +
> 'password' and do in fact make use of the 'root shell' in Konsole
> when using X.
>
> This suits my way of working and the use of sudo in Ubuntu is IMHO
> part of the dumbing down of the distro to make it so called 'user
> friendly' (/me ducks to avoid the torrent of abuse)
>
> --
> John Lewis
> Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package

I must admit that sudo was one of the things I could not get on with when I
tried kubuntu, I wanted to like kubuntu but just could not get on with it.

I have looked at Ubuntu a couple of times, I even installed fiesty a couple of
weeks ago on a spare machine to see what it looked like but that horrible
brown\orange colour scheme is enough to put anybody off.

Tim

Tim