Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge
On Sun, 13 May 2007 09:07:13 +0100
Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:

> Stephen Davies wrote:
> >
> > One more point that irritates me (Apart from the awful orange on
> > black default colour scheme)

Steve was less polite about the default colour scheme when we were
talking yesterday and even suggested it was illegal to offer
such a colour scheme under existing "Accessibility" regulations.

> > is the relative insecurity of Ubuntu
> > when compared to RedHat based distros***.

<snipped>

> > to root as needed. I never use sudo at all. If I really want to
> > lock down a system, i remove sudo completely. At one place I
> > worked recently, if an employee was found using sudo, they were
> > in deep dodo with their boss.

> Care to explain why you, and, if you don't mind speaking on behalf
> of someone else, your former employer consider sudo so insecure?

I too found the use of sudo in Ubunto very irritating though I have
no views on the security issues of doing so. Every distro I have used
previously had root and user passwords and this seems to be a
unix/linux tradition.

Like Steve I tend to do admin things from a terminal via 'su' +
'password' and do in fact make use of the 'root shell' in Konsole
when using X.

This suits my way of working and the use of sudo in Ubuntu is IMHO
part of the dumbing down of the distro to make it so called 'user
friendly' (/me ducks to avoid the torrent of abuse)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package