[Hampshire] RFC - I-D advice

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire
New-Topics: [Hampshire] [OT] DIAP was RFC - I-D advice
Subject: [Hampshire] RFC - I-D advice
Hi List

I have been working on an experimental archive project for two and a half
years now and now have got to the stage where it looks like a protocol. I
have formulated a generic brief after much deliberation. See draft brief
below. A few Lug members have been testers helping me with understanding
the process.

Now although the work may never turn into and RFC the ideas could, I
think, be worked into an I-D (Internet draft).

Can anyone advise, or has anyone been involved with producing such a
document and if so offer advice? I realise that many are submitted and
many fail.

Here is the protocol name and the brief:

Protocol name:

DIAP - Distributed Internet Archive Protocol. Also see Long-Term Archive
Service Requirements RFC4810 and Long-term Archive Protocol (LTAP) I-D. I
have yet to fully study the above documents but have read some - they are
very detailed so it will take some more time to reference these and other
RFC's and I-D's I have yet to find.

Draft Generic Brief:

By using a number of backup nodes either between sites say between
offices, homes, on a campus or over WAN's, which could be dedicated to
storage or used for existing services, have a round robin synchronisation
of incremental backup pools where the source of data ranges from a
personal laptop to a file store over unused band-width where the data rate
is dynamically controlled according to load and availability. The
incremental data retention tuned to the needs of an organisation so that
some data is always available from any node in the backup pool quickly to
within a certain time frame and tape storage stations strategically places
in various secure locations for older data retention. This system would
avoid using prohibitively expensive packages by reusing resources,
building on Open Source technologies and have a coherent strategy across
many sites increasing the level of redundancy to a high degree. With
layers of indexing, accounting and central management facilities.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated, even if it to contact third
parties etc.

I may be barking up the wrong tree with parts of this project but there
seems to be evolving a generic Internet archive strategy. Anyway, better
to keep it in the public arena:)

TIA Damian B

--
Damian Brasher