Re: [Hampshire] RFC - I-D advice

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] RFC - I-D advice
Andrew McDonald wrote:
> Hi Damian,

> I'm not familar with what is going on in the LTANS working group
> myself. However, the fact that it is in the security area would suggest
> a particular slant to the work.

Indeed - Section 10 para 4 and 11 (last para) of LTAP I-D not RFC4810
discusses redundancy - it this area that DIAP may be in a position to
expand. I have just finished the initial brief.

> If you want to move it towards being an RFC:
> Are you intending to try to do this through the LTANS working group?

Not thought of this.

> Or, are you aiming for an Informational RFC via the
> independent submission route?

My first thought.

Or, is there a general demand for this
> work from other people, so that chartering new work in the IETF would
> be appropriate?

There is demand both perceived and explicitly requested.

> I terms of writing an I-D, you ought to be familiar with the IETF 'note
> well' (and hence BCP78 and BCP79). Also, having written drafts in Word,
> LaTeX, nroff and xml2rfc, the latter is definitely the preferred option
> (since it gets the boilerplate right, will do a table of contents,
> cross references, etc.)

This is very handy to know.

> Seeing that you're at soton.ac.uk, I think Tim Chown is the sole
> remaining IETFer there, since most of the IPv6 crowd seem to have gone.

Will corner at some point.

Thank you very much for your response.

DB

--