[Hampshire] It was all going so well ...

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] It was all going so well ...
Sean's Shuttle is rehomed here!

After much cursing and downloading of drivers from the Shuttle
site, XP64 is installed and working fine.

The video card appears to be a Radeon X800.

Downloaded the Ubuntu 64 image to CD, and played the dumb user.
Installation looked perfect until ... It will only boot when F4
is set to 1024*768*16 or some such - the monitor's a really old
17" CRT. The live boot from CD then works fine, e.g. Firefox
connects to Google.

But then I told it to install to the spare space on the disc,
all went well until ...

1) It did nothing at the reboot when it told me to remove the CD
and press enter.
2) When finally reset using the magic reset button, the generic
Ubuntu says it's booting, turns off the monitor, and flashes the
caps lock and scroll lock buttons.

A kernel panic it seems. What next? The recovery console works,
but then it's not for dumb users.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691