[Hampshire] Re: It was all going so well ...

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: It was all going so well ...
> Stephen Pelc wrote:
> > Sean's Shuttle is rehomed here!
> >
> > After much cursing and downloading of drivers from the Shuttle
> > site, XP64 is installed and working fine.

> What would a Windows install be without the cursing and
> rebooting, eh?

Windows did the right thing and ran in VGA compatibility mode.
Not only that, the GUI worked enough for Device Manager to show
which devices were causing problems. Yes, I know more about
Windows than Linux, but

> > A kernel panic it seems. What next? The recovery
> > console works, but then it's not for dumb users.

> Which image did you go for Stephen? AMD 64 6.06 or 7.04?

7.04

> And which installation method?

GUI boot - installs live from CD and then press install button.

Text-based install requires another download, burn CD and
    install.

> When I stuck a 64-bit Ubuntu on there originally it was
> either Hoary or Breezy - I forget which now. Either way,
> I think it probably indicates that your problems are not
> insurmountable, since the hardware was all brand new, as
> was the 64-bit OS, and the graphics were fine even in
> that older, somewhat experimental release.

So, the new Linux release is *less* stable than the old ... Our
clients are going to really impressed. Please note we (MPE) do
compilers and applications. We're happy ploughing through the
gory details of ELF files so that we can build extensible
environments. We really don't want to call someone in just to
get a new box running.

> Can you see any X-related logs in /var/log?

No. There's a 32kb faillog which appears to be zeros.

> What driver has the installation used in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

ati

> Is it the 'ati' driver? Can you get any further with the
> 'vesa' driver. I seem to recall that being what I used in
> my 64-bit foray in the absence of a working (proper) ATI
> driver. changed to vesa - no better.

Finally, after
dphg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
with vesa selected, I can reliably use
startx
from the the console in the recovery boot. But from the standard
boot, it's dark screen and flashing lights.

I give up - volunteer needed to install 64 bit Linux in exchange
for beer tokens, old pooter to Jamies, and/or even a
presentation on how to make ELF files at a Soton LUG meet (real
low-level stuff in NASM assembler).

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691