Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu upgrade problems

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu upgrade problems

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57354100.hantslug.org.uk.14123': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 23 22:23:21 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Tuesday 22 May 2007 22:04, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 20:27 +0100, Adam Trickett wrote:
> > A friend upgraded his Ubuntu desktop system and now it doesn't boot
> > properly.
>
> Any more detail on what the exact nature of the problem is? Black
> screen?

After tonight's inspection here is what happened:

My mate did an upgrade via synaptic, but it was interrupted part way through.
He went on holiday and his missus was left with the box. The primary problem
was that there wasn't a valid initramfs for the default kernel.

I suggested recovery boot from GRUB over the phone but my friend's wife didn't
recognise the root shell prompt as a success. My suggestion was a first guess
to see if the a kernel could load and find a filesystem.

I went round and gave aptitude a prod, after several rounds of upgrades and
updates, and removing some lock files it eventually upgraded itself to
fiesty. It now boots perfectly well into GUI which is what his wife was
expecting.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The Internet? We are not interested in it.
    --    Bill Gates, 1993