Re: [Hampshire] USB hard disk not auto-mounting in Ubuntu

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB hard disk not auto-mounting in Ubuntu
On Thu, 24 May 2007 05:33:38 -0700
"Victor Churchill" <victor@???> wrote:

> No, this one has its own external supply from a mains power brick..
> Does mean that it's not very 'portable', but no demand on the host
> system.

FWIW I just switched mine one, it is powered from a brick like yours
and left connected most of the time but powered off.

dmesg sees it like this:

usb 3-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: WDC WD45  Model: 0AA-00BAA0        Rev: 10.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sde: 87930864 512-byte hdwr sectors (45021 MB)
sde: Write Protect is off
sde: Mode Sense: 2a 00 00 00
sde: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sde: 87930864 512-byte hdwr sectors (45021 MB)
sde: Write Protect is off
sde: Mode Sense: 2a 00 00 00
sde: assuming drive cache: write through
 sde: sde1
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sde
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

and mount /dev/sda1 -t ext2 /mnt lets me see what is on it

but of course I _am_ using proper Debian :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package