Re: [Hampshire] USB hard disk not auto-mounting in Ubuntu

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB hard disk not auto-mounting in Ubuntu
I'm having a very similar problem.

I've been using a 40Gb Western Digital USB backup disk for ages, without
difficulty. When this was getting rather full, I bought a 250Gb Western
Digital USB disk. (Yes, it's the one I was asking about re-naming a while
back.)

For a while this worked well, with an icon for the named disk appearing on
boot-up. Suddenly, it failed to appear and I've been unable to access the
disk since. I've tried every way of mounting it that I can think of, without
success.

Meanwhile, the 40Gb disk continues to function satisfactorily.

Incidentally, the old 40Gb disk has its own 240v mains supply; the 250 Gb
one runs on 12v from a "black brick"

Chris.