Re: [Hampshire] High bandwidth using DSL lines.

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] High bandwidth using DSL lines.
On 11/06/07, Paul Maunders <paul@???> wrote:

> We use AAISP at our office in Aldershot to bond 4 x 8Mbps/800Kbps ADSL
> Max lines, and it works quite well. The first line costs anywhere from
> £18.99 upwards depending on your total bandwidth usage, and they then
> charge £14.99 a month for each additional line.
>
> http://www.aaisp.net.uk/multiline.html
>
> We get full 4x speed for uploads, but downloads only run at around
> 12-16Mbps. We think this is due to the lines having varying latencies
> and therefore a limitation of the packet re-ordering. However, this
> seems to be a problem with faster lines, and so you shouldn't notice
> these problems with 4 x 512kbps.
>
> Paul

This does look like a nice solution. It is the load balanced downlink
that is really needed, but doing load balancing both directions is
just as easy.
The download speed is due to the latency of the link. A tcp session
can never fill a link to 100%. If you open 2 tcp links, the aggregate
of both TCP links will be close to the max bandwidth of the link. tcp
can handle the re-ordering easily.

There are different sorts of load balancing options one might wish to use.
e.g. Per packet distribution is needed for high bandwidth links, but
low bandwidth VoIP links are better served by per session load
balancing.
Some load balancers can handle both these options at the same time, some cannot.

James