Re: [Hampshire] MP3/Ogg Players

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] MP3/Ogg Players
Mike Dwerryhouse wrote:

---8<---snip------

> I was planning on getting an X5 due to its ogg support, and the fact
> that the spec
> actually saysthat it works with Linux. However, this may push me back
> to my second
> option which is iPod + Rockbox, now that Rockbox works with the latest
> iPod Video.
>
> Even if I bought an X5 from somewhere more reliable, it would still
> have to be
> returned to the US if it stopped working.

Correct, which is a shame as it is a good player. Coupled with my
Sennheiser PX200 headphones and high-quality oggs it makes a very
pleasing noise, but unfortunately iAudio support is limited to NA and
APAC. My last hdd player, a Creative, lasted me several years without
issue and it never occurred to me that this one would need to be
repaired within warranty, which is dumb in retrospect.

In terms of Linux support this translates to it showing up as a
removable drive which you can drag and drop to, or administer as you
would any other drive. Nice and simple.

Sean