Re: [Hampshire] USB - serial adapter

Top Page
Author: Dave Walker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] USB - serial adapter

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x584d4100.hantslug.org.uk.16051': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jun 19 12:03:25 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 09D38B17936ADE15
On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 08:24 +0100, Steve Kirk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a fairly new HP laptop with Ubuntu 6.10 installed, and working nicely.
>
> Being new, in what I find an annoying trend these days, it doesn't have a DB9
> serial port, only USB ports so I need a USB - serial adapter to allow me to
> connect to the console port of switches and routers, and also hopefully to the
> serial port of DEC and Sun (via yet another adapter) servers.
>
> I've seen a couple of promising devices, one is a a Keyspan High Speed USB -
> Serial adapter but it has non-free device drivers that are not permitted
> by Ubuntu (which is what I'm currently using on my laptop). I'd rather not
> support companies that do not produce Free drivers, or distribute docs to allow
> the community to produce the drivers.
>
> Anyhow, is anyone on this list using a similar kind of adapter? I'd be
> interested in any recommendations or problems anyone has experienced using
> the adapter under any linux distro (or *BSD or Solaris, for that matter).
>
> Obviously I can serach google for similar products myself, but I'd like
> the recommendations and experiences of people on the list please! Naturally
> all the products you have to pay for sound great on their web sites.. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Hi Steve,

I use a cheap USB-Serial adaptor that was purchased from ebay for ~£5.
It worked directly out-of-the-box adding /dev/ttyUSB0, with no extra
configuration required. I use this device daily and have had no
reliability issues. Obviously YMMV.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker