[Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty
Hullo.

I am a bit baffled by this one and I am not sure I am going to get very
far with this question, but here goes!

Basically I am running Ubuntu Feisty 32-bit with the aforementioned BFG
nVidia 8800 GTS graphics card. Upon installation the nv driver was
selected by default and was, as expected, utterly pants, so I swapped it
out for the vesa driver until I could get the nVidia drivers installed.

After a quick google I ascertained that the nvidia-glx-new package was
needed in conjunction with nvidia-kernel-common and
linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`. I also have the restricted-manager
and xserver-xorg-video-nv packages installed too.

Well, on the first attempt it turned out that the nvidia-glx-new package
had some show-stopping bugs in it, which I duly worked around before
arriving at the same point I am at now. Unusually for me I opted to be
patient and wait for the updated package, which when it arrived had
moved on to a later version of the nvidia drivers. However, despite this
still the same issue, which is basically that I get as far as the nvidia
splash screen before the PC locks up in terms of the screen and keyboard
(it is still possible to ssh to it).

Unperturbed I tried installing the nvidia drivers via the package from
the nvidia site, but got exactly the same result.

Naturally I went to the logs each time to find out what was going on,
but unfortunately they don't tell me a great deal. There is only one
warning* and no errors as such. The last few lines read as follows:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024"
(--) NVIDIA(0): No video decoder detected
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024"
(--) NVIDIA(0): No video decoder detected
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX

I've looked around in other logs but they are similarly devoid of clues.

Whilst I am not desperate for the OpenGL stuff to work I would like the
nvidia drivers for normal desktop use as the vesa drivers are a little
iffy, although a lot better than the nv driver.

Anyone got any experience of this sort of thing, or any ideas where I
might look for clues?

FWIW the motherboard is an 'ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA SKT 775 VIA
PT880Pro/ultra' with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz
and Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 memory. I dual-boot with XP Prof
32-bit and everything is working from that point of view.

Cheers,

Sean

* (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.

The logs and config file:
http://www.funkygibbins.me.uk/nvidia_issue/kern.log_nvidia_hang
http://www.funkygibbins.me.uk/nvidia_issue/xorg.conf_nvidia_hang