Re: [Hampshire] diffing a directory structure?

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] diffing a directory structure?
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] diffing a directory structure?
Hi,

On Sun, Jul 08 at 06:23, Andy Random wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to diff two directory structures, preferably from
> the command line and in particular I'd like to compare file permissions
> between the trees. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

With Bash (needs the named pipe syntax) how about:

diff <(cd $DIR1 ; find . -print | sort | xargs ls -ld ) \
     <(cd $DIR2 ; find . -print | sort | xargs ls -ld )

Fiddle with the ls format arguments depending on the metadata you wish
to compare.
--
        Bob Dunlop