Re: [Hampshire] Probing for monitors

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Probing for monitors
On Tue, July 24, 2007 15:29, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 03:22:03PM +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
>> On Mon, July 23, 2007 14:02, Hugo Mills wrote:
>> >    Does anyone know of a way of determining which external VGA/DVI
>> > ports on a machine have a monitor attached?

>> Since you're using NVidia, have you tried nvidia-settings?
>
>    Definitely not. The last time I ran that application, it took me an
> hour to unscramble the complete balls-up it made of my X config file.
> Also, as you mention, it seems to need X running.

"nvidia-settings -q" simply does a query, so shouldn't touch
anything. It will happily run as a non-root user (well, assuming
it hasn't been setuid).

How do xinerama/laptops work? Sounds like the sort of thing
they need to be able to do to work out what displays are
available. Possibly there might be some useful tools in that
area.

>> Sounds like the sort of information that should be somewhere
>> in /proc
>
>    It does, doesn't it? I can't find it...

Neither can I, but I know very little about /proc beyond that
it exists and contains useful stuff.

--
Be seeing you,            Web: www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                    GTalk: sam@???