[Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can …

Author: HantsLUG Mail
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?
Some hours ago now I stared find in KDE to find a file. Initially, it was
running, but I could do other things and the HDD light was flickering on and
off.

Now, some hours later it is consuming virtually all the resources of the cpu
and the HDD light is on constantly. I have tried all normal methods of
stopping it, to no avail. I have succeeded in getting a "run" window open,
with a view to running konsole, finding the pid and killing "find", but I
couldn't actually launch anything. I am sending this from my
granddaughter's computer.

The only thing I can think of is to press the reset button - but I am loathe
to do so while the HDD is actually being read. Equally, it cannot be good
for teh CPU to be being thrashed in this way. There are no obvious signs
that anything is heating up, but still.

If there is anyone out there, _please_ express an opinion. Do I 1) press
reset now 2) let it run overnight and hope that it has finished by the
morning, and then press reset if it still hasn't stopped 3) do something I
haven't thought of.

TIA
Lisi