Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Author: HantsLUG Mail
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?
On 7/25/07, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:

> On Wed July 25 2007 22:08, HantsLUG Mail wrote:
> > Some hours ago now I stared find in KDE to find a file. Initially, it
> was
> > running, but I could do other things and the HDD light was flickering on
> > and off.
> >
> > Now, some hours later it is consuming virtually all the resources of the
> > cpu and the HDD light is on constantly. I have tried all normal methods
> of
> > stopping it, to no avail. I have succeeded in getting a "run" window
> open,
> > with a view to running konsole, finding the pid and killing "find", but
> > couldn't actually launch anything. I am sending this from my
> > granddaughter's computer.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is to press the reset button - but I am
> > loathe to do so while the HDD is actually being read. Equally, it
> cannot
> > be good for teh CPU to be being thrashed in this way. There are no
> obvious
> > signs that anything is heating up, but still.
> >
> > If there is anyone out there, _please_ express an opinion. Do I 1)
> press
> > reset now 2) let it run overnight and hope that it has finished by the
> > morning, and then press reset if it still hasn't stopped 3) do something
> > haven't thought of.
> >
> > TIA
> > Lisi
>

> Ctrl-alt-del to kill the x-server, although that combination does vary
> between
> distros, on mine I get the option to log out of kde

No - that doesn't work either. The CPU is being thrashed so hard that even
the clock is now an hour slow. (It was half an hour last time I looked -
about half an hour ago :-(. ) The CPU just hasn't got any resources for
anything else - I have never seen anything like it!

But thanks for speaking from the wilderness. Much appreciated.

I'm finding watching all that thrashing so unnerving that I doubt I'll lkats
that much longer without pressing "reset" ... :-(

Lisi