Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?
HantsLUG Mail wrote:

> I have learnt several new strategies that I hope I shan't need too
> often. And learning how to use ssh is clearly even more urgent than I
> thought it was.
>
> Perhaps some kind soul would show me how to use it at the meeting next
> week in S'ton.

There's not much to learn in its basic form Lisi:

ssh sean@192.168.1.50

... takes me to the login of my account on 192.168.1.50. Once logged in
there I can do all the stuff I could do if I were logged in to it
directly. To facilitate this I need to ensure that sshd is running on
192.168.1.50, which is achieved by installing the openssh-server package
in Ubuntu. That's pretty much all you need to worry about on a secure
home LAN.

However, from there you can do some basic security stuff like disabling
root logins, setting up public-key authentication and disabling
username/password logins. Now you can think about opening your firewall
up to allow you to ssh in from the outside world, if that's your thing.

You can also run gui apps from the remote machine on your local machine,
which might be as simple as modifying the initial command to 'ssh -Y
sean@192.168.1.50' if they are two Linux machines with X installed, or
might require a bit more work otherwise.

Sean