Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?
On Thursday 26 Jul 2007 09:36, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> HantsLUG Mail wrote:
> > I have learnt several new strategies that I hope I shan't need too
> > often. And learning how to use ssh is clearly even more urgent than I
> > thought it was.
> >
> > Perhaps some kind soul would show me how to use it at the meeting next
> > week in S'ton.
>
> There's not much to learn in its basic form Lisi:
>
> ssh sean@192.168.1.50
>
> ... takes me to the login of my account on 192.168.1.50. Once logged in
> there I can do all the stuff I could do if I were logged in to it
> directly. To facilitate this I need to ensure that sshd is running on
> 192.168.1.50, which is achieved by installing the openssh-server package
> in Ubuntu. That's pretty much all you need to worry about on a secure
> home LAN.

[root@Tux:/home/lisi]# ssh lisi@192.168.0.4
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.4 port 22: No route to host

:-(

There's something very fundamental that I haven't grasped about local
networks, and I can't identify what it is, so I can't ask questions about it.
I have also never seen it done, which makes my ignorance even more profound.
The only network I have ever succeeded in communicating across is the
internet. Oh - and telnet to a router.

So, like I said - I would be very grateful if some kind person were to show me
this at the next LUG meeting. It would be a great help if I even knew what I
was trying to copy.

Incidentally, both computers are connected to my router and through that to
the internet.

Lisi