Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x574f8100.hantslug.org.uk.20778': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jul 26 15:51:45 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 03:26:51PM +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> [root@Tux:/home/lisi]# ssh lisi@192.168.0.4
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.4 port 22: No route to host

You can get that if ARP packets aren't getting through. These are a
low-level network protocol that maps IP addresses to hardware
(ethernet MAC) addresses so that the packets can get through. It can
also be a symptom of having disjoint subnets on the same network.

> :-(

> There's something very fundamental that I haven't grasped about
> local networks, and I can't identify what it is, so I can't ask
> questions about it. I have also never seen it done, which makes my
> ignorance even more profound. The only network I have ever
> succeeded in communicating across is the internet. Oh - and telnet
> to a router.

Sounds most plausibly like a firewall problem, or possibly a
netmask problem (the two machines not being on the same subnet).

Just to check the latter, what are the addresses and netmasks of
the two machines in question?

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
       --- "You got very nice eyes, Deedee. Never noticed them ---
                           before. They real?"