Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press 'reset'?
> [root@Tux:/home/lisi]# ssh lisi@192.168.0.4
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.4 port 22: No route to host
>
> :-(

You've got a firewall running, and it's not letting port 22 through.

> There's something very fundamental that I haven't grasped about local
> networks, and I can't identify what it is, so I can't ask questions about
> it.

My suspicion is that your problem is not in the network, but in the hosts
that connect to it. Linux boxen are typically nailed down tight when you
install them, and you have to allow things to happen with explicit
commands.

> I have also never seen it done, which makes my ignorance even more
> profound.

As Sean said, there really isn't anything to it :-

[vic@goliath ~]$ ssh wbelupda@???
wbelupda@???'s password:
Last login: Mon Jul 16 19:53:08 2007 from beer.org.uk
wbelupda@server135 [~]#

(I could also have used "ssh -l wbelupda wbelupdates.org" there).

> The only network I have ever succeeded in communicating across is the
> internet. Oh - and telnet to a router.

ssh is basically just like telnet - except that the communications are
encrypted. There are lots of other things it does as well - but don't
worry about them for now.

> So, like I said - I would be very grateful if some kind person were to
> show me
> this at the next LUG meeting. It would be a great help if I even knew
> what I
> was trying to copy.

If I'm there, I'll show you round it. But it'll be a two-minute demo...

> Incidentally, both computers are connected to my router and through that
> to the internet.

...So we know the networking is just fine. But you haven't got a way to
get to port 22 on 192.168.0.4. I'd look at the firewall setup on that box
first.

Vic.