Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 at 03:26:51PM +0100, hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Thursday 26 Jul 2007 09:36, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> > HantsLUG Mail wrote:
> > > I have learnt several new strategies that I hope I shan't need too
> > > often. And learning how to use ssh is clearly even more urgent than I
> > > thought it was.
> > >
> > > Perhaps some kind soul would show me how to use it at the meeting next
> > > week in S'ton.
> >
> > There's not much to learn in its basic form Lisi:
> >
> > ssh sean@192.168.1.50
> >
> > ... takes me to the login of my account on 192.168.1.50. Once logged in
> > there I can do all the stuff I could do if I were logged in to it
> > directly. To facilitate this I need to ensure that sshd is running on
> > 192.168.1.50, which is achieved by installing the openssh-server package
> > in Ubuntu. That's pretty much all you need to worry about on a secure
> > home LAN.
>
> [root@Tux:/home/lisi]# ssh lisi@192.168.0.4
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.4 port 22: No route to host

This may be obvious, but is the SSH server installed? It's not installed by
default on every distro. In modern Debians the SSH package is split, so you
could have the client software installed but not the server. Depending on
how you installed the box it may or may not be running SSH?

does:

$ ps aux | grep sshd

show anything?

What does:

$ locate sshd

come back with?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair
weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
    --  Robert Frost