Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?
On Thursday 26 Jul 2007 16:25, Andy Smith wrote:
> Trying to connect to a nonexistent IP address would explain the
> error you received.

Yes - of course! I'll try immediately. As I explained I forgot that I had
apparently left Etch on dunhurst to install DHCP by default. :-( (As opposed
to PCLinuxOS on dunhurst which is definitely 192.168.0.4 as it ought to be.)

That was it. I feel a right fool. :-( I now know to start with IP route to
see whether I have made any mistakes.

But at the start of this I wouldn't have known what I needed to have
installed. And it wouldn't have been installed on dunhurst. So I have
learnt a lot.

I now know enough to have been able to get further with last night's problem.
"All" I need to do now is learn how to use a GUI over ssh and get down to
administering firewalls.

Thank you all very much indeed for all the help.

Lisi