Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I …

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Find thrashing my box - is there anything I can do other than press "reset"?
On 26/07/07, hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> wrote:

> I now know enough to have been able to get further with last night's problem.
> "All" I need to do now is learn how to use a GUI over ssh and get down to
> administering firewalls.

Hi Lisi,

If you are sat at Tux and want to run an X app on dunhurst with the
output going to Tux's display, you should be able to do this (assuming
/etc/hostnames on Tux knowa about dunhurst):

[lisi@Tux] ssh -X dunhurst
<sshd will, the first time you do this, say something like "the IP
address of dunhurst cannot be confirmed - are you sure you wish to
continue?" - justy say yes>
password for lisi@dunhurst: ,your pwd here>
All being well you get logged in and are now in a remote ssh session
[lisi@dunhurst] $ xclock &
xclock magically appears on your Tux display, probably titled "xclock@dunhurst".

However...
the aim of all this was so that you can get into a misbehaving
machine... I hope & trust that it works for you. I know that there are
times when I have had a major X lockup on one box and can't even ssh
into it from another. BUt that may be a different kind of problem from
yours.

good luck!