Re: [Hampshire] (no subject)

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] (no subject)
Terence Relph wrote:
> Hello Sean & Allen
>
> Thank you for the lightning replies, I think I had better clarify my
> setup.
>
> 1/ I have my pc running xp upstairs with a BT voyager 105 modem
> connected to phone line that's been working fine for 2 years and I
> have also installed the wireless netgear 108mbps pci adapter ( WG311T)
> but I doubt whether it's configured properly
>
> 2/ Downstairs I have the other pc cluttering up the kitchen table with
> dapper drake installed, and the FA311 wired connection to the netgear
> adsl modem router which is connected to the phone line.
> I hope that's clearer, when I am trying to setup the router I
> disconnect the bt voyager.
> And I had already downloaded feisty so would it be better to uninstall
> dapper and install feisty.
> I don't have a printer on the ubuntu machine.

Hi there Terry,

Yup, that covers it, and as usual my assumptions have been proved
utterly wrong! I never learn...

The first task appears to be to set up your router with your ISP's
connection details, a task probably best performed between you, the
manual of your modem and router and possibly the ISP's support staff, as
I know little about this router or any configuration you have performed
on it in your attempt to get it working so far. It is fairly simple
(honest!), but until it is performing the same basic function as the BT
voyager 105 modem, any attempts to connect out through it are doomed to
failure. In short you should be able to disconnect the Voyager and
substitute in the Netgear and still have connectivity. You may find some
help on your ISP's web site regarding the configuration details and
there will be a section on setting up the router accordingly in the
manual supplied with it. Are you familiar with the basics of connecting
out through an adsl modem router in terms of how you connect your pc to
it once it is in place and connected to the phone socket?

There is nothing to stop you setting up Feisty on the other box in the
meantime, but either there is no network interface on that box or Dapper
overlooked it in the installation. Might be worth a poke around to see
what the situation is, and giving subsequent consideration as to how
that machine will connect to the router going forward. Without a working
network interface you will not be able to connect to your router and
then out onto the Internet.

With regard to partitioning the primary consideration is whether there
is data on that machine that needs to be saved or not. If not, the
Feisty install will offer up the opportunity to nuke the whole disk and
start over, which is probably as good a scheme as any for a beginner. If
there is, you need to either copy it off somehow, or give some
consideration to a more complex partitioning scheme that leaves it
untouched.

Sean