Re: [Hampshire] More on overheating boxes

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] More on overheating boxes
Hi,

On Sat, Jul 28 at 12:12, Rob Malpass wrote:
> It might (as Sean suggested in an earlier thread this week) be to do with
> too many fans. I can give that a whizz but my main worry is that (given
> this was built around a pre-built motherboard bundle) - that the builders
> haven't done a great job with attaching the CPU fan to the CPU itself. Is
> there anything I can check for here without actually removing the fan?

I've certainly seen CPU heatsinks installed 180 degrees out by supposedly
competent people. Causes problems if the socket has high spots that need
to be accomodated by slots in the sink. Fairly easy to spot, unit will
usually overheat in minutes. Place a ruler or similar straight edge
across the flat top of the heatsink/fan, if it doesn't run parallel to
the motherboard you've got problems. Remember to try the ruler in two
different directions preferably 90 degrees to each other.

Are your fans running in such a way as to assist each other ? As a
general rule of thumb the should suck in at the front/bottom and blow
out at the top/back. All suck or all blow is generally not good.

hth
--
        Bob Dunlop