[Hampshire] Survey results

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Survey results
First of all a big thank you to every who participated - we had 45
cunning plan shortly after the committee has had a think.

The full results are here:
http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/survey_2007.html

I'll now attempt to summarise the results.

90% of people who responded have attented a meeting (ever) averaging 3
in the last year. Southampton is the most popular meeting, but most of
the other venues have had a good number of visitors. (at least once
upon a time).

People attend meetings to chat to people (75%) or to see talks (50%) -
fixing problems gets 10-15%.

The meetings are well liked but sometimes other commitments and
distance to the venue can be a problem.

Space, network, location, people, interesting things are the most
important features of a meeting. However you would like in particular
more presentations, tutorials and BoF sessions. 18% expressed an
interest in social gatherings and 22% wanted more notice of events.

Regarding Aldershot meetings, there isn't an overwhelming winner, but
it looks like:
- Change nothing, try to encourage more people to attend
- Try a different venue in North Hampshire
- Merge with Surrey LUG for North Hampshire meetings

Facilities that the LUG should provide - the mailing list was rated as
essential by 84% and important by 13%. So many thanks to our
postmasters who do a superb job in keeping the list running so smoothly.

The website was rated as essential by 40% and important by 40% with
bring a box meetings slightly behind. Advocacy came next followed
closely by education and social meetings. Forums came in last with a
much lower proportion of the vote.

In terms of other activities, installfests, speaking engagements and
pub meetings gathered about 40% votes each. People had a preference
for these people on the same day as a meeting, but there was also a
substantial number of votes for them being held in addition (and also
instead of) the meetings.

Promoting our activities is certainly an area that could be improved -
"no opinion" rating quite highly, but agree/disagrees were not far
apart.

On a brighter note, people did think that we provide a good service to
our members and that it is easy for people to join. Comment #5 is
worth highlighting though - the list can be pretty intimidating seen
for the first time.

There are some very good comments and suggestions in the responses -
we'll certainly do our best to respond appropriately :)

Thanks once again!

Adrian